Chinese New Year
Chilli Beef Stir Fry by Ching He Huang
Prep time: 30 minutes including marinating
Cooking time: 3-4 minutes
- 450g sirloin steaks
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaohsing rice wine
- 1 tsp Chinese five spice
- 1 pinch ground black pepper
- For the vegetables
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 100g green beans, trimmed and cut in half on the angle
- 50g baby sweet corn, halved
- 2 medium red chillies, seeds removed, sliced
- 100ml hot chicken stock
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- ½ tsp corn flour
- 3 tbsp water
- 250g jasmine rice, steamed, to serve
- Slice the beef into thin slivers and mix with the soy sauce, rice wine, five-spice powder and black pepper. Leave on one side to marinate for about 30 minutes. The Typhoon Ching Storage Canister and Typhoon Ching Soy Sauce Pot are ideal for storing your soy sauce and powders.
- Heat your non-stick wok over a high heat, and when hot, add the oil, ginger and garlic and stir-fry for about 30 seconds before adding the beef and its marinade. Cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetables and chillies to the wok, and fry briskly for a further minute.
- Pour in the hot chicken stock and add a splash of dark soy sauce. Mix the corn flour with the water and pour into the wok, while still on the heat. Stir until thickened, season to taste, and serve straight away with steamed jasmine rice.